Continuing proof that 1and1 is incompetent, dishonest, and cares nothing about their customers.
Just a quick recap. A transfer of 270+ domains was requested on December 8. 1and1 was unable to complete the tranfer until January 15. During this period, the domains were inaccessible in my account. 1and1 is attempting to charge me for 17 domains that expired between December 15 and January 3; domains I had no ability to cancel and did not want. They have locked my account, denying me access to over 150 domains that are fully paid and not in question.
I have issued complaints with the Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade Commission.
1and1 has thus far ignored every request to fix this issue and they keep blaming me for their internal system failures.
That’s where this site comes in. Since 1and1 continues to ignore my complaints, I decided to tell my story here in hopes that I can warn someone else before they subject themselves to 1and1’s atrocious customer service.
Here is what I sent to David Rubel, Billing Manager, and everyone else at 1and1:
From: 1and1 Complaints [email@example.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 3:34 AM
‘firstname.lastname@example.org’; ‘email@example.com’; ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’;
Subject: FW: CXXXXXXXXX Re: FW: ATTN: David Rubel FW: KXXXXXXXXX Reminder
I’m sending this to every address I can find at 1and1 because I’m not sure you are getting my messages, and I really want to make sure you get this one. At least you choose not to respond to them.
Maybe you’ve just been busy. I guess with all of the BBB and FTC complaints you have to deal with it must get pretty hectic around there. I saw in my research that you do get a huge number of those. Sorry I had to initiate my own, but your customer service really stinks.
You still have not corrected my invoice so I can pay you, even though I have submitted proof on a dozen occasions that I had no ability to cancel the domains due to 1and1’s internal technical problems.
Just in case you have forgotten the details (although after a dozen reiterations I don’t see how), here are the pertinent details:
The contract transfer was requested on December 8, 2008.
On December 10, 2008, Employee Name Removed acknowledged the request and promised a 24 hour completion. (I sent you the email.)
December 18, 2008, Employee Name Removed acknowledges that they are still having trouble transferring the contract. (I sent you the email.)
December 22, 2008, Employee Name Removed acknowledges that they are still having trouble transferring the contract. (I sent you the email.)
January 7, 2009, YOU, David Rubel, admitted the problem, and promised Mr. Seller it would be completed that day.
The domains were not placed into my account until January 15, 2009. That was the first time since December 10 that anyone outside of 1and1 had any control whatsoever over the domains. I could not cancel what I could not access.
Every one of the domains in question expired between December 20, 2008, and January 3, 2009.
I had no ability to cancel them.
My account is locked, so I can’t change my DNS entries, therefore I cannot redirect any of my 240+ domains to the websites I am building to generate revenue. That includes all of the domains that have not expired. You are denying me access to domains I own that have nothing to do with this invoice dispute. You are now costing me money.
The good news is that in the same bulk domain purchase I picked up another great domain, and I have been working to get it online. Luckily, it is registered with a competent registrar, so I have not been denied access to it for even one day, much less the six weeks you cost me trying to transfer the contract, and now two more weeks because you can’t remember to fix my invoice. You can visit it at http://RippedOffConsumers.org. I really think it’s going to be very popular once I get some good content posted.
Listen, I know you are very busy, but I think you should be able to spare a few minutes to correct my invoice so that I can pay it and we can move on.
I look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.
David Rubel never replied. I didn’t hear a word for five days, when I received this:
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 10:33 AM
To: Brian Gothard
Dear Brian Gothard, (Customer ID: XXXXXXXXX)
Thank you for contacting us.
I apologize for the delay of response. We have further review the account with our billing department regarding this matter.
Please provide us a list of the domain names that you wish to have canceled and refunded. I apologize for the frustration this may have caused you.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
Hmmm, Damion Son is the name David Rubel claimed was the “upper management” person looking into the original transfer problem. He is the one who was supposed to fix this originally. Considering that I have sent that list over a dozen times already, his apologies are not helping much.
But, I sent them again. With the whole story included.